After the success of last year, VBA is aiming for a more impressive comeback both in magnitude and intensity in the 3rd season with many of changes.
To follow the momentum of last year, as well as to create a fair competition for all teams, this year players recruitment process will consist of 3 phases: Players Protection – Draft Day – Free Agents Signing.
- PLAYERS PROTECTION
For “Player Protection”, each team can protect up to 05 players who were under contract with the team in VBA 2017, regardless of Import, Heritage or Local players. Other teams are not allowed to approach these protected players. This is a significant change in VBA rules as in last season, there was only 01 Heritage player allowed to be protected by each team.
- RULES ON DRAFTING
After “Players protection” time, players that are not protected and players who are protected but could not come to an agreement with the team would go to the Draft Pool. This season’s Draft activity is applied for both Heritage and Local players. However, there will be no Lottery activity in advance of Drafting. The Draft order is in reverse order of VBA 2017 Regular Season standings. Hence, the default order of each round of VBA 2018 will be: DND > HCW > HNB > CTC > SGH > TLW (03 rounds in total).
- FREE AGENTS SIGNING
All teams are allowed to approach the Free Agents from the moment the Draft Day ends until the Roster Registration Deadline. Free Agents include:
- Import players who have or have not played in VBA,
- Remaining players in Draft Pool who were not drafted by any team,
- Local players under 19 years old who are not in the Draft Pool.
Moreover, teams are allowed to trade their Draft orders and Players. They can only use players and/or Draft order as a medium of exchange. Money and other media are not allowed.
- TRYOUTS PROCEDURE
Unlike the last 2 seasons, there will be no US Tryout this year. Only Local Tryouts will continue to be carried out. To be eligible for Local Tryouts, players need to:
- Register to join Draft Pool in advance and be undrafted in VBA Draft 2018, or
- Under 19 years old
That is to say potential Heritage players and Local players could only participate in VBA 2018 through registration. Their profiles would be considered and qualified for Draft Pool.
- KEY TIMELINE OF VBA 2018:
- Feb 05 2018, teams submit their list of protected players.
- Mar 07 2018, VBA announces the Draft Pool.
- Mar 22 2018, Draft Day. After Draft Day, teams are allowed to approach Free Agents.
- Apr 07 2018, teams submit signed offer sheets of drafted players. After this deadline, if a drafted player has not reached an agreement and has not been traded to another team, he is ineligible to play in VBA 2018.
- Apr 14 2018 to Apr 22 2018, Local Tryouts in 4 cities. Local Tryouts are only available for local players under 19 years old and undrafted players who were registered in the Draft Pool.
- May 07 2018, Roster Registration Deadline.
- Beginning of June: pre-season games.
- From June to September: VBA 2018 season
For more detail of the rules, regulations and timeline of VBA 2018, please click here.