- Roster Composition:
Each team can register maximum 17 players, including maximum 14 active players and minimum 03 inactive players.
- Import Player: maximum 01 player. Each team must register 01 Import player.
- Heritage Players: maximum 02 players.
- Local Players: minimum 07 players and maximum 13 players, with at least 03 players currently living in the city where the team is based.
- Players Recruitment Process:
To maintain continuity from last season and parity among all teams, the recruitment process is divided into 3 phases:
+ Player Protection:
- Each team can protect up to 05 players who were under contract with the team in VBA 2017, regardless of Import, Heritage or Local players.
- Other teams are not allowed to approach these protected players.
- Within a given amount of time, team needs to reach an agreement with the players they protected.
- Protected players are entitled to a salary of at least the same amount as VBA 2017.
- After the above deadline, all Heritage and Local players who are unprotected or protected but not signed will be put into the Draft Pool.
- After the above deadline, all Import players who are unprotected or protected but not signed will become Free Agents.
+ Draft Day:
- Applied for Heritage and Local players.
- The Draft Day is comprised of 03 rounds. Each round includes 6 turns. Each team has 01 turn to draft a player for their team.
- The Draft Order is in reverse order of VBA 2017 Regular Season standings. Hence, the default order of each round will be: DND > HCW > HNB > CTC > SGH > TLW.
- Team can only draft a Heritage player of their number of Heritage players at the time does not exceed the allowed number in Roster Composition.
- Drafted players are offered a fixed salary based on the order of their draft. These fixed salaries are regulated by the League.
- Within a given amount of time, team needs to reach an agreement with their drafted player(s), or an agreement to trade the player(s) to another team.
- After the above deadline, if a drafted player does not reach an agreement with a team and is not traded to another team, that player will be ineligible to play in VBA 2018.
+ Free Agents:
- Free Agents include: (i) Import players who have or have not played in VBA, (ii) remaining players in Draft Pool who were not drafted by any team, (iii) Local players under 19 years old who are not in the Draft Pool.
- All teams are allowed to approach the Free Agents from the moment the Draft Day ends until the Roster Registration Deadline.
- Draft Pool
Players in the Draft Pool need to belong to one of these following groups:
- Played in VBA 2016, VBA 2017 or VBF’s National Championship 2017 and have not reached an agreement with their previous team.
- New Heritage players: who wish to play in VBA 2018 and have submitted required profile including videos and stats to VBA Commissioner’s Office before a given deadline.
- New Local players: any Local players above 19 years old need to submit their profile to VBA Commissioner’s Office before a given deadline.
- Local players can register to join the Draft either via their governing organizations (which should be under Vietnam Basketball Federation system) or directly on VBA’s website. Any player registering on VBA’s website need to pay a registration fee of 500.000VND.
- Players and Draft Orders Trade
+ Before and during the Draft Day, teams are allowed to trade their Draft orders.
+ Before the Roster Registration Deadline, teams are allowed to trade their players, as long as the aftermaths follow VBA Regulations on Roster Composition and Salary Cap. Besides:
- If a protected player is traded, the new team needs to pay that player a salary of at least the same amount as what the previous team paid in VBA 2017.
- If a drafted player is traded, the new team needs to pay that player the exact slotted salary as per their Draft Order.
+ Teams can only use players and/or Draft order as a medium of exchange. Money and other media are not allowed.
+ All of the trades need to have a mutual agreement from all involved parties, including the trading teams, the players and their governing organizations (if available).
+ All of the trades need to be announced to VBA Commissioner’s Office in form of document.
- Key milestones:
- Jan 28 2018, new Heritage players registration deadline.
- Feb 05 2018, teams submit their list of protected players.
- Mar 05 2018, teams submit signed offer sheets of their protected players.
- Mar 07 2018, VBA announces the Draft Pool.
- Mar 22 2018, Draft Day. After Draft Day, teams are allowed to approach Free Agents.
- Apr 07 2018, teams submit signed offer sheets of drafted players. After this deadline, if a drafted player has not reached an agreement and has not been traded to another team, he is ineligible to play in VBA 2018.
- Apr 14 2018 to Apr 22 2018, Local Tryouts in 4 cities. Local Tryouts are only available for local players under 19 years old and undrafted players who were registered in the Draft Pool.
- May 07 2018, Roster Registration Deadline.
- Beginning of Jun 2018, Preseason.
- Middle of Jun 2018, Start of VBA 2018 Regular season.